Many people will tell you that local SEO is an extremely important part of any successful digital marketing campaign. However, many online business owners are unsure what local SEO is and why it’s so important for building their company’s online presence.
In this article, we’ll give you all the information you need to know about what local SEO is exactly and how it works. Then you’ll be ready to make full use of local SEO to help your online business prosper and grow.
Local SEO: a definition
Local SEO makes your business more visible on search engine results pages for searches based on a particular service/product and location. It’s a sub-type of more general SEO and helps make it easier for potential customers to find your business through an internet search in your particular location.
When users search for a business, they may include various terms in their search that specify a particular location. These could include a town, city or zip code amongst others. They may also use a ‘near me’ search. Search engines use this information to provide them with search results for relevant products and services in their specified area.
Why does local SEO matter?
Local SEO is particularly important if your business has a physical store or provides services within a specific geographic area. Online traffic from locality-based searches are an important source of possible customers for small businesses. That’s because these searches are carried out by people who are looking for exactly the service or product that you offer in your precise locality. Therefore, any leads resulting from these searches are far more likely to convert into actual sales.
How can I improve my local SEO?
One of your highest aims when improving your local SEO is to be featured on Google’s local 3-pack. When users search for a particular business in a specific locality, Google shows them the 3 most popular local businesses of that type right at the top of the search results. It goes without saying that this will help to direct a lot of great leads to your website.
So, you’re probably wondering how you can improve your site’s local SEO and potentially nab yourself a coveted top-3 spot. Here are some quick tips:
• Have a physical address
Local SEO is based on a specific geographic location. For this reason, it’s absolutely vital that your business has a physical address to build your local SEO. You need to keep your address up-to-date in Google My Business and other local directories. If you don’t, there’s no chance that a customer will find you based on a local search.
• Be consistent
Make sure that all of your business information including your name, physical address and telephone details are exactly the same on all the online directories you’re registered with. If the information doesn’t match, this can hurt your chances of appearing highly in local search results.
• Make the most of citations
Citations are another great method of building your site’s local SEO. This is when another site mentions your company in their content. For example, a blog mentioning your business as a good place to purchase a particular service improves your site’s trustworthiness in the eyes of search engines. This helps you to feature highly in local search results and potentially make it into the top 3.
How can local SEO help my business?
The good news is that improving your local SEO can have a real positive impact on your business. In fact, it’s one of the simplest ways to raise your company’s online profile. So, what benefits can you expect to see when you invest time in building your local SEO? Here are some of the ways it can help your business:
1. More people will find your business. It’s not just local people who may find your business through locality-based searches. Out-of-towners often use local searches to find products or services quickly if they’re unfamiliar with the area. You want your business to be ready to capture that valuable source of leads.
2. Local SEO tells your potential clients what makes you stand out. Local SEO can display extra information about your business and explain what features you have to offer. This can help direct customers towards your site who are looking for exactly what you’re selling.
3. Even businesses without a website can benefit from local SEO, as it allows potential customers to discover bricks-and-mortar businesses from locality-based searches.
4. Leads from local searches are more likely to convert into actual sales. This is because they make your business visible to customers looking for your exact niche in the same physical area as you. Therefore, businesses who invest time into building their online SEO are likely to generate more meaningful leads and ultimately make more sales.
5. Local SEO improves brand awareness and helps your potential clients see you more positively. It makes more information about your business visible simply from carrying out a search, including reviews from other customers. This helps you to present your brand as being trustworthy and high-quality. When people have this image of you, they’re more likely to select you ahead of the competition.
The bottom line
Hopefully, now you understand exactly what local SEO is and how it can help you to grow your business. By using some of the simple methods discussed in this article, you can build your local online awareness and continue to build a customer base. This can help to future-proof your business by making sure that you stay visible to potential new clients looking for exactly what you’re selling.
Many small businesses and start-ups choose to use an SEO company to help build their online SEO and grow their online visibility. Our experts at Small Business SEO can create a SEO marketing campaign to build not only your local visibility but your online visibility as a whole. Get in touch today to find out how we can help you to build your small or start-up business, generate new leads and make more sales.